Prep and cook time: 45 min. Servings: 4 (2 oz. pasta with ¾ c. shrimp & pesto mix per person)
- 1 c. fresh spinach leaves
- 2 c. fresh basil leaves
- 6 T. pine nuts
- juice of ½ med. lemon
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ t. ground black pepper
- 1 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 ½ T. extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- 1 lb. large (31/35 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 c. fresh green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 c. grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Make the pesto sauce by combining spinach, basil, pine nuts, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, garlic and 1 T. olive oil in food processor. Blend until smooth. Chill in fridge.
- Cook penne pasta according to directions. Rinse and cool.
- In a saucepan, heat remaining oil and saute shrimp for 1–2 min. on each side until done. Set shrimp aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute green beans and tomatoes together. Add pepper to taste.
- Mix shrimp, vegetables and pesto evenly together.
- Divide pasta into 4 bowls. Add shrimp and pesto mix on top of pasta. Serve.
Per serving: 294 calories (115 from fat), 16 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 7 g protein.
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 protein, 3 fat.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!