Prep time: 20 min. Servings: 4 (3 little sandwiches)
- 2 med. sweet potatoes
- cooking spray
- 1 15.5-oz. can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 med. avocado, peeled and cubed
- 2 scallions, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- ¼ t. ground cumin
- 1 T. cilantro, minced
- 1 med. tomato, chopped
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them crosswise into ¼-in.-thick rounds, about 12 slices per sweet potato. Spray with cooking spray. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the sweet potatoes for 3–5 min. per side, until tender. (Alternatively, broil the sweet potatoes in your oven for 3–5 min. per side.)
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, make the sandwich filling. Combine the beans, avocado, scallions, lime juice, cumin, cilantro and tomato. Mash together gently with a fork.
- When sweet potatoes are done cooking, spoon the filling between the potato slices, pressing gently to keep everything together.
Per serving: 210 calories (47 from fat), 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 8 g protein.
Exchanges: 2 starch, ½ vegetable, 1 protein, 1 fat.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale.
VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!