Prep and cook time: 20 min. Servings: 4
- 1½ c. red wine*
- 1½ c. water
- ¼ c. honey ◊
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 strip of orange zest (use a vegetable peeler to peel a strip off of a fresh orange)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 firm-ripe pear, quartered
- 8 pitted prunes
- Combine the wine, water, honey, peppercorns, zest and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Add the pears and prunes and let them poach until the pears are tender, about 15 min.
- Remove the fruit from the pan and set aside. Increase the heat, and let the poaching liquid boil until it is reduced to about 1 c. of liquid.
- Serve the fruit with 1 T. of the poaching liquid spooned over the top.
◊ For vegan members, ¼ c. maple syrup can be substituted.
* Before serving this dessert to those who may have medication, or other concerns about consuming alcohol, please note that while most of the alcohol will boil off while the poaching liquid is reducing, not all will. For a nonalcoholic option, substitute 1½ c. grape juice for the red wine.
Per serving: 353 calories (0 from fat), 0 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol,
5 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 30 g sugar,
0 g protein.
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbs, 1 free.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these grains in any form (flour, bread, stuffing, bran germ, malt, starch, etc.).
VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) recipes are prepared without any meat, poultry or seafood. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items. TOPS vegetarian recipes may contain animal products, including foods with animal fats, milk or eggs.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!