Prep and cook time: 30 min. Servings: 4 (2 peach halves with 1⁄3 c. filling each)
- ½ c. quinoa
- 4 large, medium-firm peaches
- 1 c. cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained well (from a 15.5-oz. can of low-sodium chickpeas)
- ½ t. dried oregano
- 2 t. capers, rinsed and chopped
- ¼ c. flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 scallions, cut into thin slices
- 1 med. lemon, zested and juiced (about 1½ T. juice)
- 1 T. olive oil
- Prepare the quinoa according to package directions. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Cut each peach in half across the middle. Using a spoon (a serrated grapefruit spoon works well), scoop out the interior and pit of each peach half, leaving a ¼-in.-thick shell. Cut the flesh off of the pits and chop into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chopped peaches together with the quinoa and the remaining ingredients. Gently fill the peach shells with the quinoa mixture. There may be more filling than can fit inside your peaches, so any extra may be served on the side. If you would prefer to have your entree warmed, microwave at medium power for 3 min.
Per serving: 264 calories (55 from fat), 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 21 g sugar, 9 g protein.
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 protein, 1 fat.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these grains in any form (flour, bread, stuffing, bran germ, malt, starch, etc.).
VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!