Prep and cook time: 25 min. Servings: 2 (6–8 zucchini rolls and 3 T. salsa per person)
- 2 med. zucchini
- 1 c. cooked couscous (about ½ c. dry couscous)
- ¼ c. parsley, chopped
- 2 T. cilantro, chopped
- ½ c. cilantro, chopped
- 2 pinches salt, divided
- ½ c. tomato, chopped
- ¼ c. corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 med. jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 1 scallion, cut into thin rings
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini into ribbons. Mix the couscous with the parsley, ½ c. cilantro and salt.
- Lay a zucchini ribbon flat on the counter, sprinkle some couscous over it and roll it up, enclosing the couscous mixture inside the roll. Continue until all zucchini and couscous are used.
- Prepare your steamer: Bring about ¾ in. of water to a simmer in a skillet or saucepan that holds your steamer. Lay the rolls into the steamer basket in a single layer, and then place the covered steamer over the simmering water. Steam for 10 min.
- While the rolls are steaming, make the salsa: In a medium bowl, combine the tomato, corn, 2 T. cilantro, jalapeno, scallion and salt. Set aside.
- When zucchini rolls are cooked through, remove them from the steamer. Serve with the salsa spooned over the top.
Per serving: 156 calories (7 from fat), 0 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 7 g protein.
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1½ vegetable, 1 protein.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items.