Prep time: 20 min. Servings: 4 (3 slices tomato with 1 c. watermelon or 2 skewers)
- 2 large tomatoes, rinsed and cut into 6 slices each
- 2 T. white balsamic vinegar (or substitute apple cider vinegar)
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. fresh basil, rinsed, dried and chopped (or 1 t. dried)
- 4 c. diced watermelon, with seeds removed (about half a small melon, rinsed)
- ¼ t. salt
- ¼ t. ground black pepper
- Arrange three tomato slices on each of four salad plates.
- Combine vinegar, oil and basil in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add watermelon into bowl and gently toss to coat evenly.
- Spoon watermelon over the tomatoes.
- Top with salt and pepper, and serve.
Note: Substitute three cherry or grape tomatoes and three chunks of watermelon threaded onto a skewer.
Per serving: 96 calories (35 from fat), 4 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 2 g protein.
Exchanges: 1 fruit, ½ vegetable, 1 fat.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.
Recipe for Watermelon and Tomato Salad originally published in Keep the BeatTM/We Can!® Deliciously Healthy Family Meals. This recipe was developed by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Participation by TOPS Club Inc. does not imply endorsement by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services or the NIH/NHLBI. All government publications are in the public domain and do not have any copyright assigned to them.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!