Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 1 hour Servings: 6 servings (1 c. serving)
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 poblano (or green bell) pepper, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 c. turkey meat, shredded
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1 ½ t. smoked paprika
- 1 ½ t. ground cumin
- 1 28-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chiles with juices
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 2 14-oz. cans beans (your choice of kidney, pinto or black beans)
- 1 ½ c. chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium/high heat.
- Add the onions and pepper, cooking and stirring occasionally until onions are translucent. You can place the cover on to help speed the process along. Toss in garlic and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Insert shredded turkey, then the chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix so the turkey is coated evenly with the spice mixture.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (tomatoes, green chiles, tomato paste, beans and broth) and then bring everything to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for at least 30 minutes for everything to cook together.
Per serving: 267 calories (65 from fat), 8 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 805 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 17 g protein.
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 ½ vegetable, 3 protein, 1 ½ fat.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. A note that while gluten-free ingredients are listed in the recipes, not all packaged versions of these foods are gluten-free. If you are concerned about gluten, always check the label prior to purchasing.
HIGH-SODIUM recipes include more sodium than our usual recommendations. You may want to reduce your sodium consumption throughout the rest of the day to balance your intake.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!