Prep time: 5 min. Cook time: 10 min. Servings: 4 (1 ¼ c. servings)
- 1 c. uncooked quinoa
- ¾ c. frozen sweet potato, cubed
- ½ c. vegan bacon, diced or sliced in quarters
- 2 c. fresh spinach or kale
- 2 c. water
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 T. turmeric
- 1 T. ginger
- 1 T. hot sauce
- 1 T. agave syrup or cane sugar
- 2 T. fresh lime juice (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Spray the bottom of the Instant Pot with an olive oil spray (or an alternative non-stick cooking spray).
- Add the quinoa and water to the Instant Pot and stir.
- Insert the sweet potato, vegan bacon, turmeric, ginger and agave.
- Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. (It will take about 6-8 minutes for the Instant Pot to pressurize before cooking begins).
- Once the Cook phase is complete, allow to naturally release for 5 minutes (during the final timing phase), then release any remaining pressure. Gently remove lid once all steam has escaped.
- Stir in spinach or kale (and lime juice if using). Place lid back on pot for 3 to 5 minutes. Be careful to not let the greens completely wilt before serving.
- If desired, a few dashes of cilantro can be added once plated. Add hot sauce to taste!
Per serving: 254 calories (54 from fat), 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol,
476 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 14 g protein. Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 protein, 1 fat, 1 other.
VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items.
HIGH-SODIUM recipes include more sodium than our usual recommendations. You may want to reduce your sodium consumption throughout the rest of the day to balance your intake.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
The appearance of any trade name in this material is not an endorsement or recommendation of that product.