Prep and cook time: 10 min., 20 min. Servings: 4 (1½ c. per person)
- ½ small pumpkin, skin and seeds removed, cut into 1-in. cubes (2 c. total)
- 2 (2-in.) pieces of ginger root, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 T. sesame oil
- ¼ c. less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 t. red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. rice noodles
- 8 oz. firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 T. miso paste
- 2 T. green onions, finely chopped
- 2 T. pickled ginger*
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking pan with foil or parchment paper and add pumpkin cubes. Bake for 25 min. or until tender. Let cool.
- In a large saucepan, pour 6 c. water and bring to a boil. Add ginger strips, sesame oil, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Immediately add rice noodles and cook for 3–5 min.
- Add pumpkin and tofu cubes to soup base and noodles. Cook, to allow flavors to blend, for 5–7 min.
- Set up 4 bowls. Divide miso paste evenly into the bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup over miso. Gently stir to allow miso to “melt.”
- Evenly garnish each soup bowl with green onions and pickled ginger before serving.
Per serving: 151 calories (45 from fat), 5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 593 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 7 g protein.
Exchanges: ½ starch, ½ vegetable, 1 protein, 1 fat, 1 free.
VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items.
Because this meal includes more sodium than our usual recommendations, you should balance out your salt consumption throughout the rest of the day.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.