Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 15 min. Servings: 4 (¾ c. pasta with ½ c. sauce per person)
- 8 oz. fettuccine
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. flour
- 2 c. fat-free milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ c. shaved Parmesan cheese, plus 2 T. for topping
- 1 c. pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
- ½ t. nutmeg
- ½ t. black pepper
- salt to taste
- Bring 8 c. water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook until al dente (about 12–15 min.). Drain in colander, rinse with cool water and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Slowly add flour and whisk vigorously for 2–3 min. Mixture will turn thick and bubbly. Slowly add milk and whisk constantly until mixture thickens. Add garlic and stir in.
- Add in ½ c. shaved Parmesan cheese, pumpkin, nutmeg and pepper. Stir until mixture has thickened and is a smooth consistency.
- Add cooked fettuccine and mix, allowing sauce to evenly coat pasta. Salt to taste.
- Plate 4 bowls and top each with a ½ T. of Parmesan.
Per serving: 368 calories (70 from fat), 8 g total fat (4 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 17 g protein.
Exchanges: 3 starch, ½ milk, ½ vegetable, 1 protein, 1½ fat.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
VEGETARIAN recipes are prepared without any meat, poultry or seafood. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items. TOPS vegetarian recipes may contain animal products, including foods with animal fats, milk or eggs.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!