Prep and cook time: 30 min. Servings: 2
- ½ c. flour
- ½ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- ½ c. pureed butternut squash, thawed if frozen
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
- ½ c. pearl onions, thawed if frozen
- ½ c. carrots, chopped
- 2 c. fresh spinach
- Make the dumpling batter by combining the flour, baking powder, pepper, salt and squash in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, bring the broth to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the chicken, onions and carrots to the pan. Using a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of batter into the broth. Cover the skillet, and let the chicken and dumplings poach for 15 min.
- Uncover the skillet and gently stir in the spinach, trying not to break up the dumplings. Spoon into soup bowls and serve.
Per serving: 332 calories (45 from fat), 5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 32 g protein.
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 protein, 1 fat.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!