Prep and cook time: 30 min. Servings: 5 (1 1/2 c.)
- 12 oz. whole-wheat rotini
- 1 lb. collard greens
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ t. crushed red pepper
- 1 15-oz. can low-sodium white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 T. lemon juice
- Fill large saucepan with water and place over high heat. When water boils, add rotini and cook for 9–11 min. or per box instructions.
- Rinse collard greens thoroughly. Cut ribs and stems from greens. Snip ribs and stems into 1-in. pieces; cut leaves into 2-in. pieces.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook for 30 sec. Add greens and beans. Cover and cook for 2–3 min. or until greens begin to wilt. Uncover and cook for an additional 5 min.
- Drain pasta, reserving ¼ c. cooking water. Return pasta to saucepan and stir in greens and bean mixture with lemon juice. If mixture seems dry, add reserved cooking water.
Per serving: 460 calories (18 from fat), 2 g total fat (½ g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 235 mg sodium, 90 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 23 g protein.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 protein.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!