Prep and cook time: 30 min. Servings: 5 (1 1/2 c.)
- 12 oz. whole-wheat rotini
- 1 lb. collard greens
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ t. crushed red pepper
- 1 15-oz. can low-sodium white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 T. lemon juice
- Fill large saucepan with water and place over high heat. When water boils, add rotini and cook for 9–11 min. or per box instructions.
- Rinse collard greens thoroughly. Cut ribs and stems from greens. Snip ribs and stems into 1-in. pieces; cut leaves into 2-in. pieces.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook for 30 sec. Add greens and beans. Cover and cook for 2–3 min. or until greens begin to wilt. Uncover and cook for an additional 5 min.
- Drain pasta, reserving ¼ c. cooking water. Return pasta to saucepan and stir in greens and bean mixture with lemon juice. If mixture seems dry, add reserved cooking water.
Per serving: 460 calories (18 from fat), 2 g total fat (½ g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 235 mg sodium, 90 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 23 g protein.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 protein.