Prep time: 2½ hr. Servings: 6 (2 kabobs)
- juice from 1 med. orange, squeezed
- ½ med. jalapeño, diced
- ¼ t. black pepper
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-in. cubes
- 1 med. red bell pepper, cut into 2-in. pieces
- 1 med. yellow onion, cut into 2-in. pieces
- 1 pkg. whole mushrooms, cleaned
- ½ pineapple, cut into 1-in. cubes
- 1 med. zucchini, sliced ¼-in. thick
- cooking spray
- Combine marinade ingredients in large bowl or bag, and mix well. Reserve some marinade to brush on skewers when grilling.
- Add chicken to marinade, and mix to thoroughly coat. Cover, refrigerate and let marinate for at least 2 hr. or overnight, if possible. Discard any marinade that came into contact with raw chicken.
- Spray grill with cooking spray, set grill to medium-high heat, and thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto skewers.
- Grill threaded skewers for 10–12 min., or until chicken juice runs clear, turning and basting with reserved marinade frequently until done.
Per serving: 270 calories (18 from fat), 4 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 110 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 37 g protein.
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 protein.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these grains in any form (flour, bread stuffing, bran germ, malt, starch, etc.).