Prep and cook time: 60 min. Servings: 6 (1 burger)
- 2 c. water
- 3/4 c. dried lentils
- 1/2 t. salt
- cooking spray
- 1 c. onions, diced
- 1/2 c. carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 c. mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1⁄3 c. whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 T. canola oil
- Combine water, lentils and salt in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 min. Drain; set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and garlic and saute for 3 min. Add mushrooms and pepper and cook for an additional 5 min.
- Place vegetable mixture in a large bowl; let stand 5 min. Add cooked lentils, breadcrumbs, lemon juice and egg whites. Stir to combine. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 min.
- Divide the lentil mixture into 6 equal portions. Shape each portion into ½-in.-thick patties.
- Heat canola oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add lentil patties and cook for 5 min. on each side.
Per serving: 150 calories (27 from fat), 3 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 9 g protein.
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1½ protein.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.