Prep and cook time: 40 min. Servings: 6 (1½ c.)
- 2 15.5-oz. cans reduced-sodium cannellini or navy beans, 1 can drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- a few pinches ground nutmeg, divided
- ¼ t. salt
- cooking spray
- 2 med. eggplants, sliced crosswise ¼-in. thick
- 1 large russet potato, scrubbed and sliced crosswise ¼-in. thick
- 1 14-oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- ½ t. ground cinnamon
- pinch ground cloves
- 2 T. parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ c. Parmesan, grated
- Preheat broiler.
- In a food processor, puree the beans with liquid from 1 can, garlic, a pinch of nutmeg and salt until smooth. Set aside.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Lay eggplant slices on it in one layer, spray with additional cooking spray and broil until tender, about 5 min.
- Spray another baking sheet with cooking spray. Lay potato slices on it in one layer, spray with additional cooking spray and broil until just tender, about 10 min. Change the oven heat to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cinnamon, another pinch of nutmeg, cloves
- Cover the bottom of a 9 x 13-in. baking dish with one-third of the tomato mixture, then layer half the potatoes and eggplant over it. Spoon one-half of the bean mixture over the vegetables. Spoon half of the remaining tomato mixture over the bean puree, and layer on the rest of the potatoes and eggplant. Top with the last of the tomato mixture and gently cover the top of the dish with the last of the bean puree. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake in the oven until warmed through, about 15 min.
Per serving: 276 calories (10 from fat), 1 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 293 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrates, 14 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 5 g protein. Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 protein, 2 fat.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these grains in any form (flour, bread, stuffing, bran germ, malt, starch, etc.).
VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) recipes are prepared without any meat, poultry, or seafood. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items. TOPS vegetarian recipes may contain animal products including
foods with animal fats, milk or eggs.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!