Prep and cook time: 25 min. Servings: 2 (2 c. salad with 2 T. dressing)
- 2 med. beets, cooked and peeled; or 1 15-oz. can sliced beets
- 1 med. lemon
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 t. honey
- 2 T. dill, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced into thin rounds
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 small orange
- 2 c. baby spinach
- 4 oz. canned salmon
- 2 t. sesame seeds
- Cut the beets into ¼-in.-thick rounds. Divide evenly between two plates.
- Remove the zest from the lemon. Put zest into a medium bowl. Squeeze lemon juice into bowl. Make a dressing by whisking in the oil, honey, dill, scallions and salt.
- Remove the zest from the orange. Add the zest to the dressing. Peel the orange and cut the fruit into rounds, discarding any seeds. Divide the orange slices between the two plates.
- Add the spinach and salmon to the bowl, and toss to coat lightly with dressing. Divide spinach mixture between the two plates. Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.
To cook beets quickly, use your microwave. Scrub the beets, and put them in a microwave-safe bowl. Add ¼ c. water to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and vent plastic. Microwave on high for 7–15 min., until beets are fork-tender. Let cool to a safe temperature, and remove the skins.
Per serving: 300 calories (131 from fat), 15 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 169 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 19 g sugar, 16 g protein.
Exchanges: 1 starch, ½ fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 protein, 3 fat.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these grains in any form (flour, bread, stuffing, bran germ, malt, starch, etc.).