Prep time: 15 min. Bake time: 30 minutes. Servings: 24 (2 cookies per person)
- 3 egg whites
- ⅛ t. cream of tartar
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- ½ c. sugar
- 2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ c. mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Using room-temperature eggs, separate egg whites from yolks. Combine egg whites with cream of tartar and vanilla extract. Beat on high with electric mixer until the whites form soft peaks (takes 2–3 min.).
- Slowly add sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form and mixture becomes glossy. Fold in cocoa and chocolate chips.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or cut paper grocery bags. Grease the paper and drop mixture by teaspoonfuls on the sheets.
- Bake for 25–30 min. Once cooled, remove cookies from paper and store in airtight container.
Per serving: 86 calories (28 from fat), 3 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrates, 0 g fiber, 13 g sugar, 2 g protein. Exchange: ½ fat, 1 other carbs.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. A note that while gluten free ingredients are listed in the recipes, not all packaged versions of these foods are gluten-free. If you are concerned about gluten, always check the label prior to purchasing.
LOW-SODIUM recipes have 140 mg or fewer of sodium.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
For simplicity’s sake, count other carbohydrates (other carbs) as starches.