Prep and cook time: 45 min.; 2 hr. to chill. Servings: 4 (1 c. per person)
- 1 (15-oz.) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 med. zucchini, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ½ c. red bell pepper, thinly sliced into bite-sized chunks
- 1 med. sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 c. grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ c. Kalamata olives, pitted, rinsed and sliced
- ¼ c. fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 1 c. brown rice
- 1 t. dried oregano
- ½ t. ground black pepper
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Set aside.
- Add all chopped veggies, olives and basil to the chickpeas.
- Mix oil and vinegar, and then pour over vegetable and chickpea mixture. Stir until evenly coated.
- Cook rice according to directions.
- Add rice to the veggie and chickpea mixture.
- Season with oregano and pepper.
- Chill for 2 hr. to allow flavors to meld together.
Per serving: 441 calories (102 from fat), 12 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrates, 9 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 14 g protein.
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1½ vegetable, 2 protein, 2 fat, 1 other carbs.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.