Prep time: 15 min. Cook time: 10 min. Servings: 6
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium tart apple
(Granny Smith, Honeycrisp etc.)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 T. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1-2 T. fresh sage, chopped
- 1 small to medium butternut squash, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 c. low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 t. sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in the oil and onion cooking until slightly translucent. Add in the apple and continue cooking for 4 to 5 more minutes until the apple has softened slightly.
- Add in the garlic, thyme and sage and stir until aromatic, about one minute. Add in the carrots and butternut squash and top with vegetable broth and the light coconut milk. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and then reduce back to a simmer, cover, and continue cooking until the squash and carrots are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or carefully transferring to a regular heat-proof blender), puree the soup until smooth and creamy. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, save in the fridge for up to four days or freeze for up to one month!
Per Serving: 103 calories (45 from fat), 5 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat),
4 mg cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 1 g protein.
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1 other carbs.
VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. A note that while gluten-free ingredients are listed in the recipes, not all packaged versions of these foods are gluten-free. If you are concerned about gluten, always check the label prior to purchasing.
LOW-SODIUM recipes have 140 mg of sodium or less per serving.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.