Prep and cook time: 25 min. Servings: 2 (3 oz. steak and ¼ c. peppers and scallions per person)
- ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 t. reduced-sodium, gluten-
- 2 t. canola oil
- 2 t. honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz. flank steak
- 2 med. red bell peppers, cut in half through the stem end, with cores and tops removed
- bunch scallions
*Most brands of tamari (aged soy sauce) are certified gluten-free, but it doesn’t hurt to check. If you, or someone you are serving, has a gluten intolerance, check the ingredients first to ensure that your bottle is gluten-free.
- Prepare your grill. While it gets started, mix the vinegar, tamari, oil, honey and garlic in a medium bowl. Drop the steak into the bowl, swirling it around to cover it in the marinade. Add the peppers and scallions to the bowl and cover them in the marinade as well.
- When the grill is ready, lay the steak, peppers and scallions separately on the grill. Discard any remaining marinade.
- Cook the steak for about 4 min. per side for medium doneness. Remove the steak and let the peppers and scallions keep cooking. Let the steak rest for 5 min. Remove the vegetables from the grill. Cut the peppers into thin strips. Slice the steak, against the grain, into ¼-in. slices. Serve the steak with the peppers and scallions.
Per serving: 325 calories (135 from fat), 15 g total fat (5 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 16 g sugar, 25 g protein.
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 protein, 3 fat, 1 other carbs.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these grains in any form (flour, bread, stuffing, bran germ, malt, starch, etc.).
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!