Prep and cook time: 25 min. Servings: 4 (3 oz. steak with 2 c. salad)
- cooking spray
- 12 oz. steak
- a few pinches of salt
- 1 c. corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 c. cherries, cut in half and pitted
- 1 scallion, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 c. arugula
- ½ c. fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 2 T. red wine or cider vinegar
- ¼ c. unsweetened applesauce
- Heat a heavy skillet (cast iron works well) over medium-high heat. Spray one side of the steak with cooking spray and lay the steak, spray side down, into the pan. Spritz the other side with a little cooking spray. Season with a pinch of salt. Cook, turning once, until the steak is done to your preference. For a ¾-in.-thick steak, medium-rare will take about 3–4 min. per side, and medium-well will take about 6 min. per side.
- Remove the steak from the pan and let it rest while you put together the rest of the salad.
- Place the corn in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap (punch a hole in the top to vent it), and cook on high for 1 min. Drain off any liquid. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, cherries, scallion, arugula and basil.
- Combine the vinegar and applesauce in a small jar, add a pinch of salt and cover. Shake the mixture together. If the dressing seems too thick, add a spoonful of water and shake again.
- Cut the steak into thin slices and add to the bowl with the other ingredients. Add the dressing to the bowl and toss gently to coat.
Per serving: 275 calories (149 from fat), 16 g total fat (6 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 17 g protein.
Exchanges: ½ fruit, 1½ vegetable, 3 protein, 3 fat.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these grains in any form (flour, bread, stuffing, bran germ, malt, starch, etc.).
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.