Prep and cook time: 20-30 min. Servings: 6 (1 burger)
- 1 c. cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1 15 ½ oz. can reduced-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 c. reduced-sodium canned corn, drained
- 1/4 c. quick-cooking oats
- 1 egg
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 3/4 t. onion powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- Cooking spray
- If starting with raw sweet potatoes, peel and add to boiling water. Boil for 20 min. or until tender. Drain and mash sweet potatoes. Reserve 1 c. of mashed sweet potato for recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash black beans and sweet potatoes together. Add remaining ingredients and mix with a spoon. Form into 6 patties.
- Spray nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium low. Cook burgers 5 min. Flip and cook 3–4 min., or until golden brown.
Per serving: 160 calories (18 from fat), 2 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 7 g protein.
Exchanges: 1½ starch, 1 vegetable, ½ meat.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!